Patchy's Fawlty Towers risk management. Enter at own risk

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata, zombie

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Patchy's Fawlty Towers risk management. Enter at own risk

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Running these injectors proved to be problematic.

Ive pressed the go button on the Rx8 injectors.

Not sure when I'll have them. Even if I do get them tomorrow , I'll wait until Sunday to install them. Just incase there are problems. Want to make sure I get to this Sydney meet on Saturday morning.

Got stuck without a source of E85 last night.... :lol: :roll: so i filled up with 98. what I should have done is put 2 L in & get to the place which has E85.

car ran like a dog. :shock:

anyway Idle was like holy christ.......when I changed maps.....not sure why it was that bad. leaning out big time. There would have been 3 drops left in the tank....Then a full tank of 98 went in.....
But this morning I managed to get a pretty decent idle. Just running on Open loop at this moment. I should be able to get it back on closed loop by tonight.
perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.....gives me practice in tuning.
But the Flex fuel sensor is back on the agenda next.......then vTPS. Then ....paint job
Ghetto NA6 10 shades of red

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Rx8 injectors went in tonight.

My old injectors must have been totally flocked. It runs soooo much smoother & more powerful too...i got a real surprise.

massiive surprises there. only 28 years old with 320K on it....never been cleaned. To my knowlege.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

I'm finding that Patchy likes to run super rich.

she just runs smoother.

Idle is much more stable down at around 13.5. that could be due to the cams. I'm trying to have her run at around 14.2....but it just feels better in the 13.5's at 14.7 to 15 she just wants to complain.... I mean there is some oscilation..... regardless of where I run her.

but overall on the map she prefers to run rich.

I was trying to address the oscillation Ive been having during idle. The place I got the injectors from said they were 450cc but we all read all over the net Rx8 injectors yellows are 420cc

so this morning I adjusted the injector size to 420cc which would make it run a little richer. And it did. But soooo smooth. so sock-like behavior compared to running a little leaner.
Currently ive been getting about 300 k's on a tank of E85. Ive been running exclusively e85. I know or Ive also read, that E 85 likes to run about 0.5point leaner than 98 and Ive adjusted the AFR table for that. (yes I know about 9.7AFR stoich & so on)

I wonder if my 0 2 sensor is giving me correct read outs. its an LS2 unit with a 4.9 Bosch sensor. and that's what I have set tuner studios to.

I calibrated the sensor when i installed it in October or November last year. I re-calibrated it about 4 weeks ago because I have a different reading in TS than the gauge is telling me. the gusge is telling me about 0.5 richer than TS.....the guage & LS1 controller are set so factory defaults. But Ive been taking the TS reading as gospel. and really been looking at data-logs.

anyway your thoughts, commentary .......all welcome

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”